Technical skills include fluency in C/C++11, MapReduce as well as familiarity in Python, Go, Java, Bash, SQL, Git, PHP, and LATEX.
Maintain and improve keyword suggestion backend that serves multiple AdWords frontends, including Dynamic Search Ads, Keyword Planner, Opportunities Tab.
- Designed and launched a system for suggestion quality maintenance.
- Implemented tools for rapid quality experimentation and exploration.
- Made efficiency improvements, substantially increasing backend’s throughput.
- Researched and implemented multiple suggestion quality improvements.
- Continued research on moduli spaces of hyperelliptic curves in positive characteristic.
- Discovered a large number of new Belyi curves using code written in MAGMA.
Aug 2009- Dec 2009, Lecturer at University of Northern Colorado and Colorado State University
- Taught a graduate course on Modular Forms.
- Member of the commettee to improve Calculus instruction.
Aug 2006- May 2009, Postdoctoral Fellow, Mathematics, Colorado State University
- Taught undergraduate and graduate courses, including classes on elliptic curves and cryptography.
- Coded computations of de Rham cohomology on Artin-Schreier curves in MAGMA.
Aug 2005 – Jun 2006, Postdoctoal Fellow, Mathematics, Hebrew University, Jerusalem, Israel
- Conducted research in Algebraic Geometry resulting in publications.
Ph.D. Thesis Adviser: Yuri Zarhin
VIGRE Grant (1998)
- 2013, Ekedahl-Oort strata of hyperelliptic curves in characteristic two, Journal of Algebra and Number Theory, Co-Authored with Rachel Pries
- 2010, The rank of the Cartier operator on cyclic covers of the projective line, Journal of Algebra 327, No 1
- 2010, Endomorphism algebras of hyperelliptic jacobians and finite projective lines II, J. Ramanujan Math. Soc. 25, No. 1, Co-Authored with Yuri Zarhin
- 2007, Hyperelliptic curves with a-number 1 in small characteristic, Albanian Journal of Math 1, No. 4, Co-Authored with Rachel Pries
- 2006, Hyperelliptic jacobians with real multiplication, J. Number Theory
- 2006, Endomorphism algebras of hyperelliptic jacobians and finite projective lines, J. Ramanujan Math. Soc. 21, No. 2, Co-Authored with Yuri Zarhin
Dancing: Avid blues and swing dancer.
- 2013, Co-organizer for BluesQuake in San Francisco.
- 2010-2012, Introduced blues dancing to the West Midlands, UK and Krakow, Poland.
Testimonials and Recommendations
“I can usually do well in a course whether I attend class or not. However, in this class, Dr. Elkin was invaluable in making the material accessible. His online notes were terrific.”
“Professor Elkin was very helpful outside class and really challenged his students to use what they knew to solve new problems. I really liked his teaching style and appreciated that he was flexible enough to teach subjects that the students had real interest in.”
“Great teacher!!! So helpful and really great at teaching that horrible book. Lots of work for a two credit class.”
“Arsen was the most accessible and helpful professor of mathematics I have ever had.”